[Samba] ERROR! Out of file structures

Eric Boehm boehm at nortelnetworks.com
Thu Jun 5 11:25:12 GMT 2003

On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 12:26:08PM +0200, Frank.Heckes at nokia.com wrote:

    Frank> Hi all, I'm using SAMBA 2.0.7 (okay rather old, but I have
    Frank> to run it, because of support matrix reasons) on a HP-UX
    Frank> 11.11 box (rp5470). From time to time I see the following
    Frank> message:

    Frank> 		ERROR! Out of file structures

    Frank> Does anyone know how to get rid of this problem by setting
    Frank> an appropriate parameter. Many thanks in advance.

Set 'max open files' to a larger number. If you don't set it, the
default is 10000. However, on many systems it will be set to the lower
of max open files or rlim_fd_max.

Your best option would be to recompile Samba as a 64-bit application
or upgraded to 2.2.8a.

I posted a patch to samba-technical back in January 2001 that would
allow you to set max open files to the *larger* of max open files or
rlim_fd_max instead of the smaller of the two settings.

--
Eric M. Boehm                  /"\  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
boehm at nortelnetworks.com       \ /  No HTML or RTF in mail