[Samba] NTFS ACLs

Stewart Lawler smb at f8.com.au
Thu Jun 5 02:52:22 GMT 2003

Hi..

I'm having trouble getting to grips with NTFS ACLs in samba
(2.2.3a-12.3 pkg for Debian)

I've set up a samba server with the usual homes and share drives &c.
Windows 98 clients are no problem. But the win 2k boxes are a different
kettle of things. I was puzzled as to why one user would get another
user's home share mounted on H: when i could find nothing in the 2k
user profile that would override the samba settings. I've narrowed it
down to an odd set of security permissions being applied to files on
the server.

Basically it seems to be entirely random as to who gets ownership of a
file/folder in the 2k file properties security tab.   So for eg I find
Fred owns Joe's home directory and when Joe logs on he gets Fred's home
mounted instead of his own. I've also noticed things (again in the 2k
permissions dialog) like names listed as "<Fred Bloggs> DOMAIN\jsmith"
ie the server user name and user's full name are different.

Removing Fred from the permissions and having Joe 'take ownership' in
2k doesn't work either, Fred's right back there when i open the dialog
again.

Something is up with the defaults set by samba, i'm sure, but i don't
know what. there doesn't seem to be much info out there on how to
manage NT ACLs from the samba end (because plainly doing anything on
the client machine isn't working). I have tried running smbcacls but
it's asking me for a password but there is no clue as to who's password
it wants and i've tried 'em all. :)

any info or pointers to howtos would be much appreciated...

cheers,
..S.