[Samba] winpopup

Solymos Péter giraff at freemail.hu
Wed Jun 4 19:02:14 GMT 2003

Greetings,

got some winpopup probs. Sending goes okay, and I'd like to get an
xmessage window by receiving. Thus, I added a line like this to the
[global] section in /etc/samba/smb.conf:

    message command = /bin/sh -c '/opt/scripts/winpopup.sh %m %f' &

The invoked script (/opt/scripts/winpopup.sh) looks like this:
-------------------------
#!/bin/sh
#$1 is the name of the sending machine, %m
#$2 is the file where samba saves the message, %f

echo "" >> $2	#appends a blank line to the message
echo $1 >> $2	#appends the name of the sending machine
xmessage -center -file $2	#pops up a window with the whole thing
rm $2		#removes the message file

Prob is that by receiving a message, sender machine says "sent OK", but
nothing happens at all. Any ideas? (file permissions are okay, script is
working when invoked from command line)

BTW I emerged the linpopup package, and tried it out as suggested:

    message command = /usr/bin/linpopup "%f" "%m" %s; rm %s

This way the message arrives at linpopup, but I have to run it manually
to be able to read it. Some kind of lin-doesn't-pop-up. ÷)

Suggestions?

giraff