[Samba] Messy Authentication

Mike Babnick samba at trinidadusa.com
Wed Jun 4 17:38:11 GMT 2003

Hello everyone.

I started life as a router and switch geek so please excuse my ignorance.

I have been reading from various sources about LDAP, Winbind and the
security=?? parameter in the smb.conf file but can't quite figure out how
to clean up my authentication.  I would be grateful if someone could steer
my reading efforts in the right direction.  Here is what I have going on
and what I am trying to do.

Currently, I have two Windows NT PDC boxes, two Samba PDC boxes, and a
number of non-Domain Samba boxes.  In order to get Windows NT domain users
authenticated on my Samba boxes, I put a "net use" command in their domain
login script.  I don't want to try and keep an identical list of usernames
and password on the Samba box so I use a generic account for everyone to
use.  The problem is, the credentials get sent out plain text.

Ex: net use r: \\sambBox\shareName myPassword /user:sambaUser /persistent:no

I checked that this is in plain text by doing a packet capture.  Anyway, I
don't know a better way to do it.

I will soon be putting into place a really big Samba box (for my outfit
anyway) that all users in all domains are going to use.  So I will have all
these domain login scripts firing up all over the place doing generic,
plain text logins.

Any advice on how to tackle this problem would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Mike