[Samba] where is the SAM file?

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Wed Jun 4 14:37:43 GMT 2003

On Wed, 4 Jun 2003, [iso-8859-1] Alceu R. de Freitas Jr. wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I tryng to setup some policies with pdbedit in Samba
> 2.2.8a. I´ve never used this tool before, and now I´m

pdbedit is a new tool that will come with samba-3.0.0.
It does not exist in samba-2.2.x.

> asking myself: where is located the SAM file? I
> allways dealed with smbpasswd, never with SAM file.

The Samba SAM concept is new to samba-3.0.0.

> Samba creates it on the fly, or what?
> Anybody could explain or point a documentation where I
> could find more information about it?

There is a HOWTO that is a work-in-progress. You may find it at:

http://samba.org/~jht/NT4migration/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf

This will be part of samba-3.0.0 when it ships.

- John T.

--
John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org