[Samba] Random Directories

Joe Wojnas wojnas at verizon.net
Wed Jun 4 12:47:35 GMT 2003

I believe this a virus on one of the work stations, but I want to just make sure because no of the virus scans are picking it up.  I just built the largest Linux server I ever attempted (725 Gigs in RAID5).  I convinced my client to move from Micro$oft.  Everything was working perfectly during tests.  In operation they are getting random directories made (1000s of them) in the shared folders.  They are generally things like 00000cccdcdc.  It started in one person's home directory and that's why I am leaning towards a virus.  The only problem is that I can't find a virus on the work stations.  The configurations is as follows:

Redhat 9 with Samba 2.2.8
RAID5 (hardware using Adaptec's 2400A card and 4 WD 250Gig drives)
Workstations -> Windows XP Pro (just upgraded from ME)

Thanks for your help.  I don't want to blow this one.  This office is a small portion of a much bigger company.  If I get this one to work out, I am hoping they will consider it elsewhere.

Thanks for your help!!!!!

Joe