[Samba] Samba and Winbind

Roberto Mason roberto at rmasonfamily.info
Tue Jun 3 20:51:37 GMT 2003

Hello eveyone,
	Thanks in advance, for what every help you can provide me :)

	I'm trying to get Winbind to work at home, but I seem to be getting nowhere
awfully fast. Here's my situation.
I have a server (Redhat 9.0) called Mail... which acts as  SAMBA PDC,
NIS/NFS, MAIL, DNS and DHCP server. In addition, I have two other servers
setup. 1 is an Windows 2000 standalone server, that I've setup for the
moment to act as both a file server and print server. The machine account
has been created on the domain. The second is a Redhat 9.0 file server. Also
on that server (running Samba) I have a machine account created on the
Domain.

	I have a 4th machine, with windows xp and Redhat workstation  coexisting
together. Both are registered with the Domain.  I have no problem logging
from both 2000 server or xp machine using a domain user. Because of NIS, I
can also log to my Linux boxes with no problem.

Where I do have a problem is sharing files on my Linux File server. I
assume, because I can't get my Winbind to work, I can't properly share my
files, since I can't access neither the Samba Users or groups. On the Domain
server, I've created a group called storage, and added the user Roberto to
that group.

When I go to the file server, if I do ypcat group, I see the group I created
(I updated the YP database) If I do ypcat passwd, I see the users I created
on the main server. On this same file server I share a directory called
storage. Here's an extract of my smb.conf file:

[storage]
path = /storage
valid users = @storage
write list = @storage
read only = No
Everytime I try to access this directory from Network neighborhood, it asks
me to log on. I'm assuming that I need Winbind. I've tried installing it,
Winbindd is running, I modified /etc/pam.d/logon file
auth       required	pam_securetty.so
auth       required	pam_stack.so service=system-auth
auth       required	pam_nologin.so
auth       sufficient    pam_winbind.so  <added>
auth       required      pam_deny.so     <added>
account    required	pam_stack.so service=system-auth
password   required	pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session    required	pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session    optional	pam_console.so

This is the conf for smb.conf

[global]
	workgroup = SAMBANET
	netbios name = SERVER
	server string = Samba Server
	security = DOMAIN
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	obey pam restrictions = Yes
	password server = 192.168.1.3
	pam password change = Yes
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
	passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
	unix password sync = Yes
	log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
	max log size = 0
	preferred master = No