[Samba] Samba & Terminal Services / Citrix

Troy.A Johnson troy.johnson at health.state.mn.us
Tue Jun 3 15:55:58 GMT 2003

Hello Brad and Drew,

We us Samba here with Windows 2000 Terminal
Server and Citrix. Shares and printers are served
from a Solaris 2.5.1 box running Samba 2.0.7 in
"security=domain" mode and an NT4 PDC. We
will upgrade when I can grab the time to make
and thouroughly test one of the latest releases.
We haven't been bitten by this problem, I
assume, because we have very few users
(usually 10-20) per server.

Sorry I can help with this particular problem, but
it is good see others using similar Samba setup.

Troy Johnson

---
Troy Johnson - troy.johnson at health.state.mn.us
Programmer / System Administrator
Minnesota Cancer Surveillance System - MDH

>>> <Drew.Zeller at statcan.ca> 06/03/03 09:51AM >>>
Hi Brad,

We use SAMBA here with our Windows 2000 Terminal Servers quite
successfully.
You are correct about the problems with the session id problem.  What
happens is that by default whenever any user from the same terminal
server
connects to the same SAMBA server they go through the same smb process.
Thus, the more user's connecting from the terminal server, the worse your
file access performance can get.

In the Windows NT 4 version of Terminal Server Microsoft added a registry
option which works around this problem.  The registry entry is :
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Rdr\Parameters]
"MultipleUsersOnConnection"=dword:00000000
(Note this should be listed in the SAMBA documentation)

However, under the Windows 2000 version of TS, MS took out this registry
value.  The work around we have used here to give each user their own smb
process is we created a local alias in the hosts file, on the Terminal
Server, for the SAMBA server.  For the alias we used the user id's of the
user's access the machine.  For example assume you have SAMBA server
called
samba1 with a share called myshare.  Now if you have a user on a TS with
the
user id smitjoh who wants to connect to the share what we would do is the
TS
hosts file we would add an entry to the file that aliases the IP address
for
the server samba1 to be also known as smitjoh.  Then when the user
connects
they would connect to the share as \\smitjoh\myshare <\\smitjoh\myshare>
instead of \\samba1\myshare <\\samba1\myshare> .  (Note : the one catch
with
this is that the user id alias is not visible in the browse list when you
map network drives, however for the folder path can enter \\<userid
<\\<userid> > and then click on the browse button and it will show you
the
server with the user id alias).

Another option for this is you could try using the SAMBA netbios aliases
smb.conf option to create the SAMBA server aliases.

Hope this helps.

Message: 38