[Samba] PDC/Roving Profiles/and Password Encryption

Dan Kador shoutinwhispers at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 3 14:11:15 GMT 2003

Hi All,

Well, despite my general idiocy I've managed to get PDC and roving profiles working perfectly in my test situation.  Obviously, this isn't good enough since computers are the devil, so I've run into some more problems.

Fortunately for the Samba team, this isn't a problem with Samba - I think it's more a problem with how our network is set up here.

Basically, I'm wondering if there's a way to enable PDC and roving profiles using UNencrypted passwords.  I have it working WITH encrypted passwords, but this presents a problem as we're using an LDAP database that takes unencrypted passwords, and then when we actually login to a server (say the student server), the actual student server does the password hashing.  I'm not sure if that explanation makes sense, but the important thing is that each client computer MUST have cleartext passwords enabled or they cannot login to the student server.

As far as I can tell, this is what happens when I login to the domain from my 2K box using unencrypted passwords.  I get into the domain just fine - if I have a profile path declared, I get an error saying that the profile cannot be loaded.  This stems from the client not getting a true PDC authentication with the server, as the server's shares are not viewable until I run a "NET USE" command that includes a valid username and password.  Once that is done, I can view any of the shares fine.

If there's a way to circumvent this problem or if I've managed to screw yet another thing up, let me know.  And a preemptive thanks to John - you've been a lot of help :)

Thanks!

Dan