[Samba] pdf printer

Matthew Western mwestern at affairs.net.au
Tue Jun 3 05:34:31 GMT 2003

ah.  now i've caught up.

yes definitly.  have you managed to get any other printers working with
downloadable drivers?

you need to refer to the 'printing support in samba 3.0'
http://www.linuxprinting.org/kpfeifle/SambaPrintHOWTO/ and that explains in
detail how to make your drivers downloadable page 45 on mine (i've got an
old draft so it may be different page)  main heading 'Setting up CUPS for
driver download.   probably worth working through all the pages he's written
so as to completely understand how it works (fairly simple really).     in
short you need to:

create [print$] share with the right permissions.
browse to \\samba then printers and modify the printers on the server (ie
upload drivers, settings etc etc).
i'd do it the long way as well to learn what it's doing. ie print test page,
collect files, put them in the right place, addprinter yadada.  even the
rpcclient stuff is useful to learn, but i wouldn't do it that way normally
as it's too much typing...

then install driver on a client to test.  don't try to modify settings from
a client cos they won't be saved.

which PPD to use?  whatever one you like.    start with the laserjet.ppd.
from memory i didn't even bother with PPDs cos if you print as raw, the
windoze driver does all the formatting and it doesn't change as it's passed
though samba&cups.     this is opinion and i may be wrong as i didn't write
any notes as i installed stuff.  someone may like to chip in and correct me.

regards
Matthew