[Samba] pdf printer

Norman Zhang nzhang at arkon-group.com
Tue Jun 3 04:35:15 GMT 2003

Hi,

> now i'm confused.  do you have anything in your /etc/cups/printers.conf?
> what step are you up to in the howto?  which howto?  i've got the 'cups
> software administrators manual' and 'printing support in samba 3.0'
>
> what reference are you going by?

I followed exactly

http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/samba/2003-March/093504.html

as Kurt and you pointed out. Thanks 8) I do have the PDFprinter in
/etc/cups/printers.conf. Okay at the beginning PDFprinter didn't show up
after per execution of above URL. (I did restart cups.) So I went into the
web interface of CUPS and created PDFprinter by selecting pdf printing and
choose location /var/tmp.

If you read below, I can make the PDFprinter as a downloadable driver for
Windows?

> > > But this only covers the "Install-PDF-Printer-on-CUPS" part.
> > >
> > > The other part is the "Install-PDF-Printer-on-Windows". Here you have
> > > several options. My recommendation is the
> > > "Use-the-CUPS-PostScript-Drivers-for-Windows-NT/2K/XP"
> > > -and-export-with-the-help-of-cupsaddsmb" one.
> >
> > Sorry I'm still a little confused here. Can I do "cupsaddsmb -H
> > PRNSERVER printer PDFPrinter" to setup PostScript driver (adist5.ppd)
> > for Win9x/NT/2000, so users can download them from their personal
> > workstations? If so, then I don't need to add arbitrary color laser
> > printer from Windows?
>
> I tried "cupsaddsmb -v PDFprinter", but system complaints that it cannot
> find PDFprinter.ppd. I tried copy PDFprinter.ppd to almost every folder,
> but still no luck. I'm doing this right? Where should I put
> PDFprinter.ppd?

Regards,
Norman