[Samba] Losing Home Directories

Ron Garcia-Vidal ghstwrtr at evilgenius.net
Tue Jun 3 03:07:48 GMT 2003

We've recently moved from 2.2.2a on Suse using PDC authentication with
local accounts created, to 2.2.8a on Debian with Winbind authentication.
  We are mapping shares on user's machines via a login script.

So here's the problem several users are losing access to their home
directory mappings.  In other words, we are mapping their home as f: on
their machines and they will periodically be unable to access f:
(incorect password or username).  Here is why this is a problem, the
users losing their home mappings are on WinNT4 and 2k, other users on NT
and 2k are not losing the mappings.  There is no comonality in
department or usage.  No other mapping is going stale (most users have
at least 5 shares mapped) and (here's what kills me) when the user
encounters the problem, going into "Network Neighborhood" -> SambaServer
- -> username will allow access to the share, AND returning to the F:
mapping it then works fine.

Checking the logs, all of the users who are losing their mappings have
the following error:

lib/username.c:user_in_winbind_group_list(357)
   user_in_winbind_group_list: winbind_lookup_name for group jsmith failed.

where jsmith is their username, and no such group has ever existed.
Also, there are users receiving this error who are not losing their
mappings.

Here is the pertinent section from smb.conf

### Winbind settings
winbind separator=+
winbind cache time=10
template shell=/bin/bash
template homedir=/opt/ntpublic/users/%U
winbind uid=10000-20000
winbind gid=10000-20000

### To autocreate Home Directories
obey pam restrictions = yes

==============================

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
valid users=%D+%S
browseable = no
writable = yes

I tried adding "path=/opt/ntpublic/users/%U" to the homes share with the
same result.

If it makes a difference the server was compiled from the debian souce
package from samba.org with ACL support enabled.

Thanks for any help trying to get to the bottom of this.

- --
- -Ron

"Yes Janet, life's pretty cheap to THAT type." -- Brad Majors