[Samba] pdf printer

Matthew Western mwestern at affairs.net.au
Tue Jun 3 02:52:58 GMT 2003

i'd use cups myself, but...

problem your print command.  according to the man page (i've got a full
printout on my desk.  :) )

<quote> The print command MUST contain at least one occurance of %s or %f -
the ...  <end quote>

i suggest you search google for samba pdf for just samba.  or use the
following for a cups (better) back end.

---------------
>1. Get a un*x box with CUPS and ghostscript set up on it.
>
>2. Go here: http://printing.kde.org/downloads/ and download
>this backend
>script: http://printing.kde.org/downloads/pdfdistiller
>
>3. Log in as root, put it in /usr/lib/cups/backend or wherever
>cups/backend lives.
>
>4. 'chmod +x' the file (should be 755: rwxr-xr-x).
>
>5. Restart CUPS ('service cups restart' or appropriate).
>
>6. To check if CUPS recognizes it as a usable backend, let root run:
>      'lpinfo -v | grep pdf'
>    should output "direct pdf"
>
>7. Test the pdfdistiller backend:
>     a. '/usr/lib/cups/backend/pdf'
>     	should output 'direct pdf "Unknown" "PDF Writing"'
>     b. "/usr/lib/cups/backend/pdf 1 2 a b"
>       should output: "Usage: pdf job-id user title copies
>options [file]"
>
>8. Test existence of Ghostscript's ps2pdf with 'which ps2pdf'. Output
>should be a path like "/usr/bin/ps2pdf" or similar
>
>9. Download a PPD file for cups to print with. An Adobe
>Distiller PPD is
>a great choice. I used the one from this page:
>
>http://www.pentondigitalads.com/PentonDigitalAds/creating_posts
cript_files.h
tm
("Acrobat Distiller PPD for Windows")
     If this link is dead, search Google/web for "distiller ppd" and
find a suitable file.

10. Put the PPD file in /usr/share/cups/model or wherever your CUPS
model PPDs are stored.

11. Restart CUPS.

12. Add the printer to CUPS with the command:
     'lpadmin -p <Chosen Name> -E -v pdf:<out folder> -m <ppd-file>'
      i.e.:
     'lpadmin -p PDFprinter -E -v pdf:/pub/pdf_out -m distiller.ppd'

13. Test the PDF output by manually printing to the new printer:
     'lpr -P PDFprinter test.txt'

Troubleshooting each step:

1. If you're stuck on #1, find a more appropriate howto.

2. If that file is missing, beg someone for a copy.

7. I got stuck on this one. without renaming it "pdf", it didn't work at
all. No clue why. Try copying the file "pdfdistiller" the file to "pdf"
in the same folder. ('cp pdfdistiller pdf'). If these aren't working, go
no further. Make sure CUPS is installed properly and work on this first.

8. If this doesn't work, you'll need to install the latest "ESP
Ghostscript". It's available at:
	http://www.cups.org/software.php

9. Adobe doesn't distribute this file, so it could be tricky to find.

10. Same as #3. PPD files made for Macintosh and Windows computers will
need to be re-saved in un*x format.

11. There should be a number of PPD files in that folder already. Search
for "laserjet.ppd" if you have no idea where to find them.

12. If this fails, make sure you're specifying a valid PPD file from the
model folder in the "-m" part. Alternatively, you may use '-P <ppd>'
instead of '-m', but you must specify the entire path.

13. No go? Time to start logging everything. After the first line of
your backend file (pdf or pdfdistiller), add the line "set -x". Edit
your cupsd.conf and set "LogLevel debug". Restart CUPS and peruse the
information in /var/log/cups/error_log for good debugging info.

Enjoy!

Thanks to Kurt Pfeifle [kpfeifle (at) danka (dot) de] for all the help,
comments and editing this mini-howto with me.