[Samba] Printing. The REAL jobname. :)

Freeman, Peter (ERHS) Freeman.Peter at saugov.sa.gov.au
Tue Jun 3 01:33:47 GMT 2003

>Hi All,
>I've got a very nicely working samba server with cups as the
>backend.  i
>also have a colour printer on which I must do billing every month.
>
>i've done a test page or two and the username comes though to
>the colour
>printer which is good.  problem i had is the jobname in the logs is
>smbprn_xxxxxxxx_xx (numbers) which is the samba job name.  if
>joe bloggs
>complains and says he didn't print that many jobs, we've no
>way of saying
>here's what you printed with samba because it's not
>recognizable to them.
>sad.

The jobs are logged through cups in <cupslogdir>/page_log.

There are a few scripts around which generate some real numbers for
print accounting, nothing is 100% reliable as once the job is sent
(and therefore logged into page_log) cups assumes that it did print
and doesn't allow for things like paper jams and subsequent reprints etc.

One which I use is called printanalyzer, found at:
http://amaru.ti6.tu-harburg.de/portal/Members/ti6ntm/Projekte/Printanalyzer

If you setup cups to rotate logs every <n> billing days/months, then
you should end up with some nice stats on how many jobs were printed
to each printer (you may need to hack the script a bit to get it down
to jobs per user per printer level).