[Samba] some simple samba problems

Freeman, Peter (ERHS) Freeman.Peter at saugov.sa.gov.au
Mon Jun 2 23:57:05 GMT 2003

>hello,
>there are 3 problems i've been having with samba for a very
>long time.  i
>was
>hoping to get them resolved once and for all.  my smb.conf
>file is attached.
>
>1)  my printer is shared via samba and i'm using the cups
>print system.  i
>can
>see the printer from my win2k and winxp machines, but it says
>"unable to
>connect, access denied".  how do i remedy this problem?

I'm guessing you can still print to it successfully?
Have a look at the list archive and also the smb.conf man page for
the "use client driver" parameter.

>2)  i'm sharing all my home directories via samba.  a win32
>machine can only
>
>see cjb's home dir if there is a cjb account on on that win32
>machine with
>the same password as the linux machine.  i want any win32
>machine to see
>>all< shared home dirs, but only allowed to enter them if the correct
>password is supplied.  and furthermore, once the window is
>closed, it will
>ask for the password again if trying to enter the dir again.

Could I ask what your reasoning is behind operating it in this way?
A home directory by definition is user-centric so you normally wouldn't
have a large browesable list of home directories.
There may be some registry hacking to be done for your second question,
as the u/n and p/w is cached locally once you enter a share.

>3)  sometimes when i click on a share, windows will ask for a
>password, but
>the text input for the login is greyed out.  thus i can only supply a
>password, but not a correct login...what gives?
>
>i'm using samba-2.2.7.

What is your security parameter set to in the global section?  I've never
come across this one before, but it sounds like you may have the security
set to share instead of user.  Just a thought, and I'm probably wrong :)

btw, it wouldn't be a bad idea to upgrade to the latest samba version,
generally
later releases have more bugfixes, particularly for Win2k & XP clients....