[Samba] unix password sync trouble

Niels Laukens niels.laukens at tijd.com
Mon Jun 2 16:26:20 GMT 2003

Hi,

I'm  having some trouble with my password databases. I'm using my
self-made Linux installation (LFS, http://www.linuxfromscratch.com)
and I'm trying to make it a Samba PDC. I'd like to keep both UNIX and
SMB passwords synchronized.
I managed to make passwd adapt both passwords (using some
PAM-configuration). However, if I want to change my password using
smbpasswd I get the following error logged:

smbd/chgpasswd.c:findpty(73)
  findpty: Unable to create master/slave pty pair

I don't really know what it means, bu I suppose a 'pty' is the
communication channel between the SMB daemon and the passwd program.

Does anyone know what is wrong on my system?

Thanks,
Niels