AW: [Samba] samba installation

Stéphane Purnelle stephane.purnelle at tiscali.be
Mon Jun 2 17:07:54 GMT 2003

Le lun 02/06/2003 à 00:22, A.A a écrit :
> hi,
>
> i see there is no sbin directory after the installation!!
>
> After unpacking wite xzvf and Instllation(.configure/make/make install/make
> installman ) of samba-2.2.81.tar.gz i have two directories:
>
> smba and samba-2.2.8a
>
> There are in samba directory only bin, lib, man swat,private, var
>
> and in samba-2.2.8a are : source, packing, swat, source testsuite, docs ,
> pcp
>
> ???!!!
>
> henry

When you unpack your samba-2.2.81.tar.gz, the system create a directory
named samba-2.2.8a.  In this directory, you can type :
./configure
make
make install

The default directory (after compilation) of samba when you use a source
tarball is /usr/local/samba.

smb.conf, smbpasswd, smbd, nmbd, ... is in this directory.

If you want to use this version you must modify the startup script ofi
samba.

In RedHat or other distribution, the startup script can be fount in
/etc/rc.d/init.d, in suse distribution, you may find the script path and
modify the script for execute smbd and nmbd with the correct path.