[Samba] Session startup failed

chris harrison chris at lowfield.com
Thu Jul 31 17:01:41 GMT 2003

Greetings list,

I'm trying to configure Samba 2.2.8a (running on Debian woody).
I've also been trying to get PAM working so as to be able
to authenticate against a Win2k network server. I think something
I did to get that working has broken something else :(

I can smbmount to a windows share.

i.e.
smbmount //windowsbox/chris /tmp/chris -o username=chris%password

works with no problems.

I can ping my linux machine from a windows machine.

testparm seems to pass the smb.conf ok - unless the winbind separator
message is fatally serious?

=====
testparm ./smb.conf
Load smb config files from ./smb.conf
Processing section "[ch]"
Processing section "[public]"
Loaded services file OK.
'winbind separator = +' might cause problems with group membership.

====

I cannot, though, see my Linux machine from windows.
I can't even see the shares I have created;

====
thruxton:/usr/local/samba/lib# smbclient -U chris%password -L thruxton
added interface ip=192.168.0.35 bcast=192.168.0.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
session setup failed: Call returned zero bytes (EOF)
====

hosts allow = 192. 127.
host deny = all

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I might try?

I can't seem to find that many references using Google to that
particular error message.

Suggestions gratefully received ...