[Samba] Win98 troubles

Bob Crandell bob at assuredcomp.com
Thu Jul 31 14:17:57 GMT 2003

John H Terpstra (jht at samba.org) wrote:

>On Thu, 31 Jul 2003, Bob Crandell wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a client with 2 Win98 out of 15 computers that refuse to see the server when
>> they first turn them on in the morning.  When they logon as a new user, not a
>> reboot, it connects and they work fine for the rest of the day.  They can even
>> reboot whenever they want throughout the day and it works, but when they turn it off
>> over night, the computers refuse to see the domain the next morning.  Help.
>>
>> One computer's IP is DHCP the other is static.  The server OS is Slackware 9.0,
>> Samba 2.2.8a.  I added the server netbios name and the domain name IP address to the
>> workstations' local hosts file and I added those workstations' IP addresses to the
>> server hosts file.  I hard coded the network speed to 100/half duplex.
>
>Looks like you have chosen to make life painful Bob. That's what you get
>without WINS.
>
>Suggest you add to [globals] wins support = yes
>
>Then in your dhcpd.conf file add:

options netbios-name-servers 'IP-addr-of-Samba-Server';

options netbios-node-type 8;

>Then on all hard coded IP address workstations set the IP of your Samba
>server as the WINS server address in the TCP/IP settings.
>
>That should help to getthings moving a little smoother.
>
>- John T.

I already have wins support.  It's the line after domain logons.

I tried adding:
options netbios-name-servers 192.168.254.250;
options netbios-node-type 8;
to /etc/dhcpd.conf but it said it was expecting an semicolon on both lines with:
options netbios-name-servers 192.168.254.250;
        ^
options netbios-node-type 8;
        ^
I'll run over there this morning and add the wins address to the workstations.

I'm always looking for wasy to make my life easier.  What are your suggestions for
the global section?

Thanks

--
Bob Crandell