[Samba] Access to shares from within and outside of a Domain

Richard Booth r.booth at ulcc.ac.uk
Thu Jul 31 10:00:44 GMT 2003

Hi Marian,

Guess what I'm really trying to do is make my share available to systems
within our domain *and* to stand alone workstations (ie *not* in the
domain). Unless I'm missing something obvious, it seems that you can do
one or the other, but not both at the same time (although, i can't
believe there's not a way of doing this)!

The Domain and workstations also sit on different networks, hence the 2
NIC's.

I've looked into smb.conf settings using both "security = user" and
"security = share" (from the documentation, it would also appear that
"security = domain" will essentially provide the same type of
authentication as "security = user").

If I use "share" I get to the share from the workstations, without
authenticating, but cannot map the share from the domain.
If I use "users" I can get to the shares from our domain, with a valid
account, but get asked to authenticate from the stand alone machines.

This situation has arisen, as we need to backup systems within our
domain and some stand alone workstations. I want to be able to provide a
share that is available without authentication to either group of systems.

Do you or any one in the samba community have any suggestions? Is this
possible with samba?

Thanks,

Richard.