[Samba] Joining Win2k to PDC server problem ...

Kay Muller kayalan at nortelnetworks.com
Wed Jul 30 18:59:33 GMT 2003

Gentlemen,

I could not join Win2K station into PDC Domain. I get the message: "The
specified user does not exist!" when I tried to join. I read a lot how-to's
and all procedures that is available in the web and still not working. In
the same network I have Win98 working fine. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance ...

The procedures that I followed to join  Win2k box in the net are listed
below:

On Linux box:

- added the machine account with $ sign into /etc/passwd file
- added the account into /etc/samba/smbpasswd file command: smbpasswd -a -m
<win2kstation>
- added the root account into /etc/samba/smbpasswd file.

On Win 2K station:

- Reboot Win2K box
- Log in as ADMINSTRATOR
- Go stem -> Network identification -> properties
- Click "Domain" option
- Enter "Domain name",
- Click "OK"
- Enter "root" & root's smbpasswd in log in dialogue box that appears.

I get the the error "The specified user does not exist!"

Some additional information:
- Linux red Hat 7.2 with kernel 2.4.20-18.7
- Samba version installed: 2.2.7-3.7.2
- smb.conf

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 10.0.0.7 (10.0.0.7)
# Date: 2003/07/30 14:13:31

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = TRAVEL
        netbios name = SERVER
        server string = Service Server (%v on %L)
        interfaces = 10.0.0.1/24
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        update encrypted = Yes
        pam password change = Yes
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
*passwd:*al
l*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
        passwd chat debug = Yes
        unix password sync = Yes
        log level = 4
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 400
        time server = Yes
IPTOS_LOWDELA
        domain admin group = @adm
        add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g 100 -s
/bin/false -M
 %u
        logon script = login.bat
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 99
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        wins support = Yes
        hosts allow = 10.
        nt acl support = No
        printing = lprng

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        valid users = %S
        read only = No
        create mask = 0664
        directory mask = 0775

[netlogon]
        comment = Network Logon Service
        path = /usr/local/samba/lib/netlogon
        write list = admin,root,
        guest ok = Yes
        nt acl support = Yes

[Profiles]
        path = /usr/local/samba/profiles
        guest ok = Yes
        browseable = No

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        guest ok = Yes
        printable = Yes
        browseable = No

[stour]
        comment = Stour Folder
        path = /home/stour
        read only = No
        guest ok = Yes

[print$]
        path = /etc/samba/printers
        write list = @DOM+PRINTADMIN,root

[fax]
        comment = Fax queue
        path = /tmp
        create mask = 0700
        guest ok = Yes
        printable = Yes
        postscript = Yes
        print command = /usr/local/smbfax -r queue %u %s
        lpq command = /usr/local/smbfax/smbfax show
        lprm command = /usr/local/smbfax/smbfax dequeue %j

[dj-695c]
        comment = HP Deskjet 695c
        path = /var/spool/lpd/dj-695c
        read only = No