[Samba] mounting/connection to 2003 shares (members servers and domain controllers)

hasufin at hasufin.org hasufin at hasufin.org
Sat Jul 26 06:37:11 GMT 2003

After a long and ardous search (I didn't find anything on the mailing
lists though weird) -- I've found the gold at the end of the rainbow.

It appears that domain controllers in Active Directory will by default,
require digital signatures (and perhaps encryption) for the smb protocol.
This breaks *DOS/LANMAN* clients to connecting to Windows 2003 and of
course versions of samba less than 3.0

I was finally able to map my samba 2.2.5 installation to windows 2003 AD
server by reviewing this technet article.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/proddocs/standard/570.asp

after making those changes.. to force the security policies to update
immediately, run:

gpupdate

at an cmd prompt and you should be good to go.

What still doesn't work?  View browse lists....  like smbclient -L melkor
I still get an access denied on the browse list.  Curious.. but at least
mounting and mappings work.

Just an FYI.

Thanks,
Glen Goldsmith

PS - I'm not on the mailing list - if you reply - copy me as well.