[Samba] Unable to mount Windows 2003 Server shares from Linux RH 7.3

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Jul 26 00:00:40 GMT 2003

On Sat, 2003-07-26 at 02:56, Yannick Cayer wrote:
> Greetings,
>

> I am trying, FROM a Linux Red Hat 7.3, to mount a share sitting on a
> Windows 2003 Server and I am getting the following problems.
>

> I had done this with a NT4 server and it was working fine.
>
> I am trying to mount the following:
>
> mount.smbfs //NT2003SERVER/share /mnt -o username=user,password=pass
>

> At first, I was getting the following error:
>
> cli_negprot: SMB signing is mandatory and we have disabled it.
> 21739: protocol negotiation failed
> SMB connection failed

SMB signing and smbmount (actually, the smbfs kernel-side) are
incompatible.  I will try to alter the source code to ensure it is made
clearer (and that you can't attempt to re-enable it).

We have recently made some very good progress, such that smbclient
should always able to negotiate signing.

If you want an SMB signed connection, you need to use the CIFS VFS
module, already in the Linux Kernel 2.5, and available as a patch to 2.4
http://us1.samba.org/samba/Linux_CIFS_client.html

Andrew Bartlett
Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org