[Samba] What makes an account is DOMAIN ADMINISTRATOR?

Beast beast at setuid.com
Fri Jul 25 10:41:40 GMT 2003

Friday, July 25, 2003, 5:30:00 PM, Felipe wrote:

>> So, what is exactly requirement for Domain admins?????

> To be able to join a Windows XP/2000 computer to a Samba Domain, during
> the process you must supply a Samba user that is mapped to UID=0 on your
> Samba server.

> The easiest way is to create an "Administrator" user in Samba and assign
> it a UID of 0. Then, when joining your Windows machine to the domain,
> use that "Administrator" user.

Tks felipe,
But why it needs to be root (or uid=0), is it because it needs to open
/etc/samba/smbpasswd?
What if i'm using ldap, can I use ordinary user and bind as
ldapmanager?

This is required for me because I will use ldap backend but I don't
want to create root account in ldap which if it's compromised, it can
do anything to *all* workstation.

Tks again.

--beast