[Samba] silent file truncation on ext3 with linux quota v0

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Fri Jul 25 05:09:20 GMT 2003

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003, Johannes Niess wrote:

> The following message is a courtesy copy of an article
> that has been posted to comp.protocols.smb as well.
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to implement file system quotas on a Debian Woody Linux
> box. My problem is that W2k Explorer silently truncates files when
> going over quota by copying files. Other applications work as
> expected and show a "disk full" error message.

Which applications are working OK?

> To me it looks like the error code for "over quota" is not propagated
> back from samba to Windows Explorer.
>
> I've tried with all combinations of Linux kernel 2.4.18, latest
> 2.4-ac, samba-2.2.3a-12 (from woody) and a debian source package
> 2.2.8a reconfigured --with-quota. I've not yet used a newer quota
> package.
>
> I've found some descriptions of the problem, but no workaround. I
> understand that samba supports only v2 version quotas (from the -ac
> kernel series and maybe latest 2.4-marcelo's-pre). I'm not asking for
> support of network drives size set to quotas. A "dfree command" can
> easily do that.
>
> BTW: What's the status of quota support in Samba 3? What I really want
> are quotas per samba share, independend of the OS.

Samba does not implement quotas. Quotas are an OS issue. There is no way
for samba to implement quotas without massive overheads the performance
hit will be too high. The only way in which samba interacts with OS quotas
is in reporting remaining quota capacity.

If you believe that the file trucation problem is an abnormal behaviour
then you will need to capture a level 5 debug log and post a bug report
with it at https://bugzilla.samba.org

- John T.