[Samba] 2 issues using SAMBA as a print server

Rob Tanner rtanner+samba at linfield.edu
Thu Jul 24 17:41:20 GMT 2003

Paul,

Thanks for the pointer to the pdf.  Trying to load up drivers using a
windows client has proven to be problematic (I think on the windows end
and I'm not windows savvy).  I got a set of all the drivers off the PDC
and tried installing them as per page 175 of the pdf.  Problem is that I
don't understand why the example uses a colon ":" separator in several
instances and a comma "," in others.  Also, the rpcclient command
generates a segment fault on the SAMBA server.  I'm running 2.2.7 as
shipped with RedHat 9.  Any ideas what's going on with it?

Thanks,
Rob

--On Thursday, July 24, 2003 10:26:04 AM +1200 Paul Eggleton
<paule at cjntech.co.nz> wrote:

> Rob Tanner wrote on Thursday, 24 July 2003 6:24 a.m.:
>> 1. When attempting to connect to the printer from a Windows box in
>> the domain (the SAMBA server is simply a server that's a member of
>> the domain, it is not the PDC) I get the message that the server does
>> not have the appropriate driver and then it pops up a setup wizard.
>> Since some several hundred machines may end up using any one of 10
>> different printers, what do I need to do in SAMBA to prevent this?
>
> You can upload drivers to the server using the Add Printer wizard, so
> that clients will be able to download them. See the Samba HOWTO
> collection chapter 18 (search the document for "printer drivers"):
>
> http://samba.org/~jht/NT4migration/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf
>
> Cheers,
> Paul

Rob Tanner