[Samba] bind failure: can't contact ldap server

Dan Kador shoutinwhispers at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 23 19:29:26 GMT 2003

Did you specify the LDAP administrator to bind as in smb.conf?  I believe the option line is "ldap admin dn", but you should double check that.  Then you also have to store the admin's password in the secrets.tdb file with a "smbpasswd -w adminpw" command.  That's what fixed the problem for me.

Dan

"Fatemi, Afsheen" <afatemi at oid.ucla.edu> wrote:
Hi list,
I have installed samba 2.2.8 on my linux rh 9. with Openldap rmps. I am
trying to setup a PDC server using Samba with ldap as the backend. The samba
server can not connect to the ldap server. I am getting the following error
when I run any smb commands:

LDAPS option set...!
ldap_connect_system: Binding to ldap server as ""
Bind failed: Can't contact ldap server

I don't think the problem is at the ldap because before I decided to
install samba tools to use it as a PDC, I was able to add users and
authenticate using my MAC clients.

I have checked my /etc/samba/smb.conf and smbldap_conf.pm files and nothing
seems to be wrong. Do you have any idea why would samba try to connect to
null "" instead of my fully qualified name?

Thanks for your time and help,

afsheen