[Samba] share level access and Windows XP

James Bear james.s.bear at sendit.nodak.edu
Wed Jul 23 16:27:48 GMT 2003

I am the tech coordinator in a small public school in rural North Dakota
and all of last year I ran Samba on redhat 8.0.  I had XP machines that
used Samba as the PDC.  Worked fine.  But now I am getting some XP home
machines that cannot log on to a domain.  That's okay, because I am
determined this year to use solely redhat.  In fact, I put the
partitions down to 5 gig for Windows and gave redhat whatever was left.

As a result, I am not going to have a PDC anymore.  Now, I just want to
use the server as a file server for redhat, Mac, and XP alike.  I've got
samba to work fine as a server when connecting from redhat using
smbclient.  I can also see my /homes/ share from XP, but when I try to
log on, I don't have the option of supplying a username.  For the user
name, it says \Waldo\guest.  Waldo is the name of my server.  As a
result, I can't log on.  How to fix?  Here is my smb.conf:

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 0.0.0.0 (0.0.0.0)
# Date: 2003/07/23 11:26:15

# Global parameters
[global]
	netbios name = WALDO
	netbios aliases = waldo
	server string = where is
	security = SHARE
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
	passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
	log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
	socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192
	preferred master = Yes
	domain master = Yes
	dns proxy = No
	wins support = Yes