[Samba] I've always HATED printing with Samba

Jim C jcllings at tsunamicomm.net
Tue Jul 22 21:47:57 GMT 2003

Joel Hammer wrote:

>I seem to have lost most of this thread.
>
>But, if you are using a z53 lexmark, you should have no trouble. That's
>what I use and it works just dandy both as a local and as a  network
>printer. Let me know and I can give you some tips on using this printer
>with linux.

Well in regards to this, here are a few things that it would help to know.

1. When the cleint-side printer drivers are uploaded, where do they go?
That way I can check perms and stuff.
2. What does the printer section of your smb.conf look like?  I posted
mine earlier but I will repost for you, K? :-)

Note: Some comments were added to this but not to the actual smb.conf

[printers]
       comment = All Printers
       path = /var/spool/samba
       create mask = 0700
       guest ok = Yes
       printable = Yes
       print command = lpr-cups -P %p %s -r # using cups own drivers
(use generic PostScript on clients).
#Tried this setting and also the one for client side drivers and one for
server side drivers.
       lpq command = lpq -P %p
       lprm command = cancel %p-%j
       browseable = No #Why no?

[print$]
       path = /var/lib/samba/printers
       write list = @adm root  #Who exactly should be on this list?
Just admin or users also?

[pdf-generator]             #I would especially love to get this working.
       comment = PDF Generator (only valid users)
       path = /var/tmp
       printable = Yes
       print command = /usr/share/samba/scripts/print-pdf %s ~%u