[Samba] Printing multiple copies

Roberto Fichera kernel at tekno-soft.it
Tue Jul 22 10:53:43 GMT 2003

At 06.05 22/07/2003 -0400, Joel Hammer wrote:

>Well, I just tried an experiment.
>
>With XP Home, printing to a postscript printer on my linux box, the job is
>sent as multiple, sequential  postscript files, each file being just one
>copy. Ergo, samba thinks it has received multiple different print jobs,
>not one job consisting of multiple copies. This is different from what I
>found before, suggesting that new print drivers on the windows box (XP)
>handle multiple copies differently.
>
>I get multiple copies printed out with XP Home sent to my linux server. No
>problem. Do you see your windows client actually sending multiple copies
>when you print?
>
>What is the printing system you are using?

Is the RH6.2 default "printing=bsd"

>If not cups, you might modify your printing command in smb.conf to gather
>some information. Here is what I have with my lprng print command.
>
>[ps]
>         comment = Filtered for Z53
>         path = /tmp
>         read only = No
>         create mask = 0700
>         guest ok = yes
>         hosts allow = 192.168.
>         printable = Yes
>         printing = lprng
>         print command = echo %J %p %s  >>  /tmp/junkJ;\
>                        a="`echo '%J' | sed "s/^.*- //"`" ;\
>                        echo This is truncated $a >> /tmp/junkJ;\
>                        /usr/bin/lpr -Pps  -J"$a"  %s;\
>                         rm %s
>         lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq -Pps
>         lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -Pps %j
>         lppause command = /usr/sbin/lpc hold ps %j
>         lpresume command = /usr/sbin/lpc release ps %j
>         share modes = No
>         use client driver = yes
>
>That long print command captures the smb job name (%s) so I can see
>what really is going on (whether one or multiple jobs get sent). And,
>it captures the file name sent from windows (%J). The file name is
>truncated to remove a Microsoft prefix sent with each filename.

Below you can see the log as you suggest. The two tmp.* spooling files are the
same document, for the first I request 12 pages the second 1 page.

[root at server tmp]# ls -al
totale 864
drwxrwxrwt    4 root     root         8192 lug 22 12:35 .
drwxr-xr-x   20 root     root         4096 lug 22 09:28 ..
drwxrwxrwt    2 xfs      xfs          4096 lug 22 09:29 .font-unix
-rw-rw-rw-    1 roberto  tekno         352 lug 22 12:35 junkJ
drwx------    2 root     root         4096 feb 28  2002 orbit-root
srwxrwxrwx    1 postgres postgres        0 lug 22 09:29 .s.PGSQL.5432
-rw-------    1 postgres postgres       24 lug 22 09:29 .s.PGSQL.5432.lock
-rw-------    1 roberto  tekno      420993 lug 22 12:34
tmp.smbprn.000088.JDeufV
-rw-------    1 roberto  tekno      420993 lug 22 12:35
tmp.smbprn.000089.uJ5DXA
[root at server tmp]# cat junkJ
Microsoft Word - Test.doc ps smbprn.000088.JDeufV
This is truncated
Microsoft Word - Test.doc ps smbprn.000089.uJ5DXA
This is truncated
[root at server tmp]#

>Joel

Roberto Fichera.