[Samba] samba-ldap-debian

Markus Amersdorfer markus.amersdorfer at aon.at
Mon Jul 21 18:14:35 GMT 2003

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 11:35:50 +0200
Thomas Dewar <tdr at infobi.com> wrote:

Hi!

> >Run
> >  smbpasswd -w $LDAP_BINDPW
> >

> thanxs for paying attention to my problems but smbpasswd doesn't work
> : no matter how I change debian/rules by adding --with-ldapsam (or
> even --with-ldap) I keep on getting the same error which is :
>
>         -w not available unless configured --with-ldap
>
> what have I done wrong?

Hmm, don't know exactly but it simply seems your installed Samba does
not support LDAP.
I can't remember exactly at the moment, but you will most probably need
the ldap-development package(s) be installed when compiling Samba.
(Otherwise it will probably compile and produce .deb-packages correctly
without you noticing that somewhere in the configuration/compilation
output it tells you it can't find LDAP and thus will have no support
for it.)

  [<0> max at yellow:max]$ dpkg -l '*ldap*dev*'
  [...]
  hi  libldap2-dev   2.0.23-6    OpenLDAP development libraries.
  [...]

Cheers,
Max

--
The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged.
                       <Cpt. Picard, "The Drumhead", StarTrek TNG>

http://homex.subnet.at/~max/