[Samba] Samba 3.0.0 Beta 3

William234 at aol.com William234 at aol.com
Mon Jul 21 14:33:03 GMT 2003

Hello,

I have recently compiled Samba 3.0.0 Beta 3 on Debian Woody.  I compiled it
with LDAPSAM support.

After reading and working through the PDF file that comes with Samba 3 to
configure the LDAP server I get the following error messages when I do smbpasswd
-a <username>

sparc10:~# /usr/local/samba/bin/smbpasswd -a ********
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
failed to add domain dn=
sambaDomainName=DOM,ou=people,dc=*****,dc=***,dc=**** with: Undefined attribute type
        sambaAlgorithmicRidBase: attribute type undefined
Adding domain info for CGI-DOM failed with NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL
failed to add user dn= uid=********,ou=People with: Server is unwilling to
perform
        referral missing
failed to modify/add user with uid = jrmiller (dn = uid=********,ou=People)
Failed to add entry for user ********.
Failed to modify password entry for user ********

I google'd looking for information on the undefined attribute and referral
missing.  For the undefined attribute, it said to check that the correct version
of the samba.schema file was in /etc/openldap/schema.

sparc10:/etc/openldap/schema# pwd
/etc/openldap/schema
sparc10:/etc/openldap/schema# grep sambaAlgorithmicRidBase *
samba.schema:attributetype ( 1.3.6.1.4.1.7165.2.1.40 NAME
'sambaAlgorithmicRidBase'
samba.schema:         sambaAlgorithmicRidBase ) )

That leads me to believe that I have the correct samba.schema file.

I am at a loss as to where to go from here.

Thank You,

Bill Miller
William234 at aol.com