[Samba] Re: Samba 3.0 and Active Directory Replication

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Mon Jul 21 10:51:26 GMT 2003

> Message: 1
> Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 09:05:44 -0400
> From: "Jamrock" <dmc_jamrock at yahoo.com>
> Subject: [Samba] Re: Samba 3.0 and Active Directory Replication
> To: samba at lists.samba.org
>
> Hi Paul,
>

>>> you may have read the docu but... anyway replacing /etc/passwd is
>>> achieved by a different NSS source (could be ldap, nis, whatever). If
>>> you gonna use LDAP as SAM backend you don't need /etc/samba/smbpasswd
>>> anymore. (you need nss_ldap and possibly pam_ldap from padl.com)
>

> Fine.  I am currently going through the 385 page Samba manual.   Where
can I
> find more info. about the other NSS sources?  What are the
> advantages/disadvantages of using another one?

This is probably one of the better documents on LDAP available at present:

http://www.mandrakesecure.net/en/docs/ldap-auth2.php

BTW, NIS is mostly of academic value now, people still running NIS will
likely be looking to migrate to LDAP in the future.

> With Samba 2.x we need to create the user in two places.  I was just
> checking to see if we could now create the user in just one.

This is not entirely true ...

http://www.mandrakesecure.net/en/docs/samba-pdc.php

This one may also be interesting:
http://www.mandrakesecure.net/en/docs/samba-ldap-advanced.php

Regards,
Buchan

- --
Cellphone * Work            +27 82 472 2231 * +27 21 8828820x202