[Samba] sambaDomain Question

Jim C jcllings at tsunamicomm.net
Sun Jul 20 17:51:02 GMT 2003

Well here is my theory.
Most organizations with larger numbers of users generally assign users
to groups like "users" or "admin" and as a consequence have
substantially fewer groups than users.  Thus the two numbers would get
out of sync.  In the reverse case where an organization assigns a group
to each user one might have substantially more groups than users and
again we are out of sync.   In Linux, the tradition has been to use
formulas to transform uid and gid numbers into disjoint groups of  RID
numbers so that the information (uid/gid) is retained acrossed system
boundaries.  For example one might use a system that will come up with
all even numbers for users and odd ones for groups.  If this were not
so, we might have to maintain a seperate  set of records, similar in
concept to an SQL table, with all of the RID values.  In sort it has to
do with the most efficient way to store the data while retaining the
ability of the administrator to figure out what the underlying uid/gid is.