[Samba] pam_winbind.so

bryantac67 at yahoo.com bryantac67 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 18 21:21:36 GMT 2003

Hi all,

I am having a problem with pam_winbind.so.  Is there
any documentation that tells exactly what each module
with pam_winbind.so does?  In other words, what does
the auth section do, what does the account section
do???  When I try to authenticate, the auth section in
login pam seems to pass successfully, but the account
section seems to fail.  Here is my login module

auth     required       pam_securetty.so        debug
auth     required       pam_winbind.so          debug
auth     requisite     pam_unix2.so
debug,nullok #set_secrpc
auth     required       pam_nologin.so         debug
auth     required       pam_homecheck.so        debug
auth     required       pam_env.so             debug
auth     required       pam_mail.so             debug
account  sufficient     pam_winbind.so          debug
account  required       pam_unix2.so            debug
password required       pam_pwcheck.so
debug,nullok
password required       pam_unix2.so
debug,nullok use_first_pass use\
_authtok
session  required       pam_unix2.so
debug,none # debug or trace
session  required       pam_limits.so           debug

-------------------and here is the log snippet------

Jul 18 16:29:24 pam_winbind[20827]: Verify user
`xxxx+xxxx'
Jul 18 16:29:25 pam_winbind[20827]: user 'xxxx+xxxx'
granted acces
Jul 18 16:15:36 pam_winbind[20781]: user `xxxx+xxxx'
not found
Jul 18 16:29:25 login[20827]: pam_unix2:
pam_sm_acct_mgmt() called
Jul 18 16:29:27 login[20827]: pam_unix2: pam_ldap
returned 10
Jul 18 16:29:27 login[20827]: User not known to the
underlying authentication module

I know the second pam_winbind.so error above is from
the account section because when I comment it out and
retry, it disappears.

Any ideas??

Thanks,
Aaron