[Samba] Re: Continuing problem with domain trusts

Joe Dougherty dougherty at nlmof.navy.mil
Fri Jul 18 19:51:32 GMT 2003

Here's an update to this, as I tried to reset the trusts one more time:

    1. I set up the trust account on the Samba system: smbpasswd -a -i
OLDDOM, followed by the password.
    2. Logged into a W2K client on the Samba domain and started User Manager
from the NT resource kit. Shows OLDDOM as a Trusted Doamin and olddom$ as a
Trusting Domain. I did not add these to the list, they appeared there on
their own.
    3. Logged into the W2K AD server on the OLDDOM domain. Opened the Active
Directory Domains and Trusts Tool, and got to the Trusts tab in the domain
properties. In the top blcok (Domains trusted by this domain), I did Add,
entered the name of theSamba domain (NEWDOM) and the password I set in step
one. The trust was added to the list and I get a message "The trusted domain
has been added and the trust has been verified." I can browse the Windows
OLDDOM from the samba NEWSOM.
    4. I then try to add the Samba NEWDOM domain to "Domains that trust this
domain". I add the Samba name, and I get this message "To verify the new
trust, you must have permissions to administer trusts for the domain NEWDOM.
Do woyu want to verify the trust?" I click yes and am presented with a login
bax. I enter the root user and password on the Samba domain. I then get this
message:
"Active Directory cannot verify the trust...Error: There are currently
nologon servers available to service the logon request." The NEWDOM domain
name is added to the list, but browsing to that domain from OLDDOM isn't
possible.

Perhaps this can help anyone who might have somoe ideas about this.

Thanks.

Joe