[Samba] Re: Samba 3.0 and Active Directory Replication

paul paul at subsignal.org
Sat Jul 19 01:08:19 GMT 2003

John Brown wrote:
> Your answers have helped quite a bit.  I understand a lot more now.
>
> These compromises are small issues compared to the benefits of Samba.  We
> use Samba 2.x and we have benefitted from:
>
> Less expensive software
> Lower hardware requirements
> Significantly fewer reboots
> Greater stability
> Faster performance
>
> Many companies don't use group policy anyway.
>
> One last thing.  We will be using OpenLDAP with Samba 3.0.  I have
> downloaded the code and have read through the documentation on samba.org.
>
> How does the whole authentication thing work?   Do we still need the
> /etc/passwd and /etc/samba/smbpasswd files?  If so, are there any plans to
> have just one password database?
you may have read the docu but... anyway replacing /etc/passwd is
achieved by a different NSS source (could be ldap, nis, whatever). If
you gonna use LDAP as SAM backend you don't need /etc/samba/smbpasswd
anymore. (you need nss_ldap and possibly pam_ldap from padl.com)

> I have read of people using the User Manager for Domains and Server Manager
> tools from Microsoft.  Where can I get them and what version has been
> tested?
from microsoft?

> What are the differences between the sambaAccount and posixAccount
> objectclasses.  Why is the posixAccount necessary?
see above, for every samba group/user/machine you need a corresponding
entity on the unix side to map access rights (filesystem). Think of
posixAccount as a template for a system user in your directory,
sambaAccount extends this object to hold the samba specific attributes.

> Regards.

greetings
	paul