[Samba] Slow file copying from Server to clients

Eugene Joubert EugeneJ at centratel.co.za
Fri Jul 18 06:58:51 GMT 2003

Hi,

I have posted this issue once but have not yet had a reply to it. Not sure
maybe no one has an answer but I will try again.

I have a linux box running SuSE 8.2 with samba 2.2.7-a58. Everything works
well except when clients workstations copy files to their workstations, in
particular my client running Mac OS X. Mac OS X supports the SMB protocol. I
had a look at the logs but could not see anything that looks out of the
ordinary, not that I know what everything means, but nothing from a glance
that would point to a reason for my problem. I even rebooted the server but
still no luck. Copying to the server seems fine. In fact copying a few Gig
of data takes less time than retreiveing 40 MB from the server.

I also had a look at the network card settings. It's set to full duplex
100MB and only 0 errors, collisions are plenty but this is a "flat" network
so it's to be expected.

Is there anyone that could possibly assist.

Kind Regards,
Eugene