[Samba] Windows XP Picture and Fax Viewer Rotate-Function does not work on Samba Shares

Deti Fliegl deti at fliegl.de
Fri Jul 18 01:05:06 GMT 2003

Hi there,

I am facing a problem when rotating a picture with the Windows XP built
in picture and fax viewer. Whenever I try to rotate a picture from a
samba share the viewer application tells me that it is not able to save
the file. Maybe there is some problem with filelocking as it seems to be
kept open by the viewer while it writes the rotated version back to the
same file.
Am I doing something wrong or is there a solution. Turning off
op-locking in Windows XP does not work. Playing around with samba file
locking options neither worked.
My samba version is 2.2.5 running on linux (kernel 2.4.21).

Please reply directly to my address as I am not subscribed to this list.

Deti