[Samba] [Fwd: Re: GLASS in "The Samba Team announces Samba 3.0.0 beta3"]

Matt Seitz seitz at metadata-systems.com
Thu Jul 17 20:07:54 GMT 2003

Thanks for replying to my question.  However, I am still confused.

For reference, here's the URL:  http://www.samba.org/samba/whatsnew/samba-3.0.0beta3.html

>> What does "GLASS" represent?

>It's sample name of the remote domain. You can call it MILKYWAY,
>OFFICE and DOMAIN as well. It is aritrary name the administrator
>of the remote name gave her while installing primary domain controller.

I thought that in this example that "WINDOWS" was the sample name of the remote domain.  If "GLASS" is the name of the remote domain, then what does "WINDOWS" represent?

Here is a fuller excerpt:

"To establish Samba as the trusting domain (named SAMBA) from a Windows NT
4.0 domain named WINDOWS:

  1) create the trust account for SAMBA in "User Manager for Domains"
  2) connect the trust from the Samba domain using
     'net rpc trustdom establish GLASS'

To create a trustlationship with SAMBA as the trusted domain:

  1) create the initial trust account for GLASS using
     'smbpasswd -a -i GLASS'.  You may need to create a UNIX
     account for GLASS$ prior to this step (depending on your
     local configuration).
  2) connect the trust from a WINDOWS DC using "User Manager
     for Domains"