[Samba] Samba 2.2.8a/winbindd - 2K Domain users passwordchallenged

Stewart, Eric eric at lib.usf.edu
Thu Jul 17 16:46:06 GMT 2003

	Okay okay - forgive me for being a whiney itchbay.  But the fix was (when discussing *nix systems) quite counter intuitive ...
	I noticed that, even after using chmod #uid file, that the system was not returning the string name for the appropriate numerical uid.  So, since I was headed out to lunch, I went ahead and rebooted the server.

	Lo and behold it all appears to work now.  Correctly even.

	I'm guessing that changes to /etc/nsswitch.conf may not necessarily register immediately and that's where I was running into trouble.  That or something to do with files moving into place (like /lib/libnss_winbind.so) and not being "seen".
	Now if I could only be sure of what service it was that need restarting ...

Eric Stewart - Network Admin - USF Tampa Library - eric at lib.usf.edu
SCUBA Diver: 220 Dives  Most Recent: 05/10/03 Chankanaab Park, Cozumel
GeoCacher:    58 Found  Most Recent: 07/04/03 GCGBHE - Fun in the Sun
http://www.scubadiving.com/talk/ and http://www.geocaching.com/