[Samba] Printing Slow

Grahame Jordan gbj at theforce.com.au
Thu Jul 17 00:38:40 GMT 2003

I have an installation where there are several win2K machines connected
through samba to a couple of printers.

Using Suse 8.2 and cups

First I could not get it to print at all via samba by found I had to
uncomment this line in /etc/cups/mime.types
application/octet-stream
and in /etc/cups/mime.convs
application/octet-stream   application/vnd.cups-raw    0   -

However now the printing takes very long to happen. The default printer
HP4L seems to work OKish but it does not happen instantaneously.  The
Epson Color takes a while for the windows box to render and takes ages
to print.

My general setup is as follows

[global]
printing = cups