[Samba] Win XP Client Samba 2.2.3a cannot connect

Paul Galbraith paul_galbraith at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 15 02:14:52 GMT 2003

I have the following smb.conf with samba 2.2.3a on debian 3.0:

    [global]
        encrypt passwords = yes
        security = share
    [pub]
        path = /home/samba
        writable = yes
        guest ok = yes
        guest only = yes

I've enabled the 'nobody' account in the smbpasswd file.

When I try to browse the available shares on the server from a Windows XP client, I get numerous read errors in the smbd log file:

    [2003/07/14 22:06:09, 0] lib/util_sock.c:read_data(436)
      read_data: read failure for 4. Error = Connection reset by peer

Win XP just hangs for a few minutes and then eventually responds that I'm unable to access the network resource.  However, I can successfully browse the share from an openbsd machine using smbclient.

Does anyone know what's going on?  TIA!

Paul