[Samba] Creating domain users - how?

Paul Parsons peparsons at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jul 14 22:29:34 GMT 2003

The problem is - how do I do it? It seems to be such an easy question
but I've failed to find it in the documentation. (I'm trying to follow
"How to Configure Samba 2.2 as a Primary Domain Controller" which I was
pointed to by SWAT.) I'm guessing the solution's obvious, but if so, I
hope somebody can help easily.

I've used samba for a few years (so I'm not a complete newbie), but now
I'm trying to use it as a PDC for the first time. It's a simple network
consisting of a Mandrake Linux 9.1 m/c acting as the DNS and PDC, and a
Win2K workstation. It's samba version 2.2.7. The samba configuration
seems OK so far as SWAT is concerned and I've tried using a share
successfully. The config includes the netlogon share as documented.
I've successfully persuaded a Windoze m/c to join the domain.
The Windoze m/c's name is in both /etc/passwd and /etc/samba/smbpasswd.
The dollar sign is at the end of the name in both cases.
I've also added root in /etc/samba/smbpasswd.
I've created a user (which I intend will be a domain user) in
/etc/passwd and in /etc/samba/smbpassed.

Now what? I don't know what to do next.

What worries me is that there doesn't seem to be a way of telling the
Windoze m/c what password you've entered for it on the PDC. Anyway...

If I try to add the user in Win2K using "Control Panel/Users and
Passwords/Add/Browse" and tell it to use the root user and password, it
successfully returns a list of users on the linux m/c, including the
one I want to be a domain user. However, when I select my "domain" user
and proceed in the wizard I get the following error message:
"The user could not be added because the following error has occurred:
The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain
failed."

I've also tried ignoring the fact that I haven't told Windoze anything
about this "domain" user. When I just try logging in as this user, it
says:
"The system cannot log you on to this domain because the system's
computer account in its primary domain is missing or the password on
that account is incorrect."

I can post the smb.conf file if necessary.

Thanks for any help...

Paul

=====
L&K,Paul