[Samba] Re: Raidzone, reiserfs, huge files

Dragan Krnic dkrnic at lycos.com
Sun Jul 13 20:54:07 GMT 2003

| I posted about 2 weeks ago about problems we were
| having copying files larger than about 17.6GB from
| NT to Samba 2.2.8a-1 on a Raidzone 1.3TB system.
| One of the most recent and enlightening things we
| tried was to hang a spare SCSI drive on an external
| connector on the RZ box, put an ext2 filesystem
| on it, and add a share for it in the smb.conf.  A
| 32GB file copies perfectly to this share, obviously
| using the same Samba setup and network interface,
| which made me suspect an issue with the RZ disk
| array.

What's an RZ Box? Is it a RAID box including a Linux
box with samba software or a RAID box alone attached to
a Linux box of your own running 2.2.8a-1?

I've never had any problems with reiserfs 3.6 and
large files ever since I started using samba 2.2.6.
The current version is 2.2.8a-3 and it still works.
My clients are all Win2K but that should be irrelevant.

Do some logging to see what happens when a large copy
fails.

| Should we try ext3, and if so, are there any
| possible complications we should be aware of?

Why don't you try it out. It'll probably fail too.