[Samba] Cant Change Password from W2K client

Erich Vinson evinson at trginc.us
Fri Jul 11 20:19:45 GMT 2003

Hello again all. I am only having one problem with my shiny new PDC
running Samba 2.2.8a -- The client can't change their password from
their own machine! The error returned is:

"The user name or old password is incorrect. Letters must be typed using
the correct case. Make sure that Caps Lock is not accidentally on"

A search of the mailing list archives, a google search, and others have
not been able to yield results. Here is what I have tried so far:

- made sure the correct case was being used
- made sure the (old) password was correct
- made sure the  username in both smbpasswd and /etc/passwd was lowercase
- restarted the smbd daemon
- combed through smb.conf

and nothing. Can anyone offer advice? My smb.conf is below:

# Global parameters
[global]
	workgroup = TRGLOCAL
	netbios name = TWRSRV
	server string = Domain Controller %v
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
	passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *Retype*new*UNIX*password* %n\n *Enter*new*UNIX*password* %n\n *Retype*new*UNIX*password* %n\n *passwd: *all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
	unix password sync = Yes
	log level = 2
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	max log size = 50
	time server = Yes
	domain admin group = @admins root
	add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g machines -s /bin/false -M %u
	logon script = netlogon.bat
	logon path =
	logon drive = Z:
	logon home = \\%L\%U
	domain logons = Yes
	os level = 64
	lm announce = Yes
	preferred master = Yes
	domain master = Yes
	wins support = Yes
	hosts allow = 127.0.0.1 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0

[homes]
	comment = My Home Folder
	read only = No
	browseable = No