Réf. : [Samba] DOS client connection

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Jul 11 11:01:02 GMT 2003

On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 12:50:47PM +0200, Vincent.Badier at alcatel.fr wrote:
> Ok, so what do you mean i need to change in the conf?
> When i try to change the encrypt passwords setting to "No", it doesn't work
> with xp/2k.
>

> >Hi,
> >
> >DOS client and win95 client send password in clear text password, XP, w2k,
> >win98 sent encrypted password.

This is incorrect.  All modern clients (including DOS) can send the Lanman
form of the encrypted password, and we will always accept a plaintext password
from the truly ancient clients.

What 'encrypt passwords = yes' does is allow modern clients to use encrypted
passwords - which must exist in an smbpasswd file.  In particular, XP, Win2k,
Win98 will all *refuse* to send a plaintext password, leaving you no other
option.

Andrew Bartlett