[Samba] System Error 53..

Marian Mlcoch, Ing mm at tsmp.sk
Fri Jul 11 05:51:40 GMT 2003

Try read
http://www.ibiblio.org/gferg/ldp/Samba-with-SSH/Samba-with-SSH-4.html

4. Setting up an SSH tunnel
The first thing to do is to make sure the sshd daemon !!!! is installed and
running on linux_2 !!!!!
and that linux_1 has SSH installed!!!!

Next on linux_1 we need to set up an SSH tunnel from the local port 139 to
the windows_server port 139, the SSH tunnel needs to bounce through linux_2
for linux_1 to be able to reach windows_server. You will need to be root to
open this SSH tunnel as port 139 is a privileged port. (It is possible to
set this up on a different local port if you wish to run SSH from user space
and then you must specify the port to use in your smbmount command discussed
later in this document.) The command to set up the tunnel using the SSH2
protocol is as follows.

ssh -2 -q -f -N -g -L 139:windows_server:139 username at linux_2

In this example I have used hostnames 'windows_server' and 'linux_2' - these
should be replaced with the ip addresses of the machines you wish to connect
to. The first '139' corresponds to the port of the local machine, then the
destination server and port are specified, and finally the username at linux_2
is the server you wish the ssh tunnel to bounce through. After executing
this command you should be prompted for the password for 'username' on
server linux_2 .

This howto says about two linux machines but this can be windows_1 with
proper ssh client instaled.
On xp then must run
ssh -2 -q -f -N -g -L 139:linuxsambaIPorDN:139 username at linux_2   <<<this
user is for sshd not samba
But command
smbmount "\\\windows_server_NETBIOS_NAME\destination_folder"
/mnt/remote_share/ -o
username=WINDOWS_USER,password=WINDOWS_PASSWORD,ip=127.0.0.1
must be replaced with
net use ....
net view ....
but net view \\127.0.0.1 this is XP machine exactly direct tunnel to linux2
net view \\netbiosnamelinux2 or netbios name of any machine on network where
samba and sshd is running
but if tunneling is only set for port 139 net view command not work it need
another ports. Exactly work only net use.

If you create tunnel only for encrypt data (139) and your network is direct
conect routed windows to linux then may net view work.

Thats all folks.