[Samba] challenge/response

Haydn Byrne Haydn.Byrne at transact.com.au
Fri Jul 11 05:10:10 GMT 2003

HI all,
I am having problems getting challenge/response auth working with samba 2.2.8a.

Samba was configured with the --with-winbind and --with-winbind-auth-challenge options.
added the following to smb.conf
     workgroup = <domain>
     security = domain
 password server = <domaincontroller>
    winbind uid = 10000-20000
 winbind gid = 10000-20000
 winbind use default domain = yes
 encrypt password = yes

after joining the domain and running wbinfo -t (returned secret is good), I attempted a wbinfo -a domain\\user%password and only recieved "Plaintext password authentication succeeded". I don't recieve any messages regarding "challenge/response".
Why don't I recieve a challenge/response message?

I definately compiled using the appropriate options, and I have used the steps above on other systems and it worked fine.

Thanks for any help.
-Haydn