[Samba] Samba printing

Garfoot,J garfooj01 at leedslearning.net
Thu Jul 10 14:27:44 GMT 2003

Hello,

We've got this very system working in our IT suites. The basic way to do
this is to set up samba to have the following lines in smb.conf

>[global]
> printcap name = lpstat
> ..
>[printers]
> print command = lp %s -o job-hold-until=indefinite

You may need to adjust the lp command to suit your system

In the cupsd.conf make the following changes

> ..
> ..
> ServerName 192.168.0.200
> SystemGroup staff
> ..
> <Location /jobs>
> AuthType Basic
> AuthClass Group
> AuthGroupName staff
> Allow from 192.168.*
> </Location>

"staff is the linux user group of the people you want to control the print
jobs
192.168.0.200 is the IP address of the printserver. Check the cups
documentation for more info.

You should be able to go in a web-browser to http://192.168.0.200:631 if you
click on jobs it should ask for your username and password

Hope this helps

Joe Garfoot
Corpus Christi Catholic College
Leeds, UK